The UBC Medical Journal is warmly accepting submissions for our Spring 2019 issue on Medical Education. The submission deadline is October 12, 2018.
Training future physicians can take over 15 years of post-secondary education in Canada, which is one of the lengthiest training times among professions. With this in mind, numerous stakeholders, including current trainees, tax payers, medical schools, and the provincial and federal governments, have an interest in the development of well-trained Doctors of Medicine with the skills to serve the demands of our changing society. In Canada, this challenge relies on the quality, capacity, and community-support of our 17 medical programs, including UBC. Recent years has seen proposed solutions such as updates to medical education such as the implementation of Case-Based Learning, the introduction of programs offering accelerated routes to medical school, an increased focus on the ‘hidden curriculum’, and the renewal of the undergraduate Doctor of Medicine curriculum. Given the increased demand for medical services, the adequate preparation of undergraduate medical students for residency and practice remains to be addressed. In this coming issue, we invite you to engage in dialogue surrounding medical education: its current challenges, innovations, and future directions.
Submissions may fall under the categories of: Academic Research, Case Reports, Reviews, Commentaries, and News & Letters. Submissions not pertaining to the current theme may also be accepted for publication.
The Guide to Authors and submission platform can be found on our website.
To encourage and recognize high quality writing, the UBCMJ Distinguished Writing Award, including a $250 honorarium, will be presented to the authors of the strongest article submitted in the Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 issues.
Before you submit…
Please review these steps to ensure a smooth and timely submission process.
- Carefully review our Guide to Authors and ensure that your submission meets the requirements presented therein.
- Carefully review and complete our Single Author Article Submission Form (PDF) or Multiple Author Article Submission Form (PDF), as appropriate, and ensure that your submission meets the requirements presented therein.
- If applicable, carefully review and complete our Patient Consent for Publication Form (PDF), and ensure that your submission meets the requirements presented therein. Patient consent is not to be sent to the journal with your submission, but must be retained by the authors for a period of five (5) years.
- Review and complete the conflicts of interest disclosure form: COI Disclosure Form (from ICJME) and ensure that all authors of your submission have thoroughly met the disclosure requirements presented therein. *Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to view/edit*
- Please add your completed Article Submission Form and COI Disclosure Form directly to OJS as supplemental documents.
Do not hesitate to contact the managing editor at email@example.com if you have any submissions-related inquiries.