The submission deadline is October 11, 2019. Submissions may fall under the categories of Academic Research, Case Reports, Reviews, Commentaries, and News & Letters. Submissions not pertaining to the current theme may also be accepted for publication.
The UBC Medical Journal (UBCMJ) is warmly accepting submissions for our Spring 2020 issue on Medicine and Media. Medicine is a popular topic for discussion in the media. We can easily find articles about the latest health fad or a breakthrough discovery in treatment in newspapers, magazines, or scientific journals. On television, we are exposed to health channels and advertisements of health products that can influence our choices. The impact and reach of media have become even greater in recent decades due to the internet and the rise of social media.
The relationship between medicine and media can be a beneficial one used to educate the public and collect information. However, the influence of media on medicine can also be harmful. The scientific accuracy of the content shared with the public can greatly vary. Media can become a tool to spread misinformation and propagate false beliefs, as seen in the anti-vaccination movement today. In this coming issue, we invite authors to share their work on the role of media in medicine and how it may shape healthcare delivery, patient-physician relationship, and communication in the future.
To encourage and recognize high-quality writing, the UBCMJ Distinguished Writing Award (a $250 honorarium) will be presented to the authors of the strongest article submitted in either the Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 issue.
For more information please visit our Guide to Authors page.
Before you submit…
Please review these steps to ensure a smooth and timely submission process.
- Carefully review our Guide to Authors and ensure that your submission meets the requirements presented therein.
- Carefully review and complete our Single Author Article Submission Form (PDF) or Multiple Author Article Submission Form (PDF), as appropriate, and ensure that your submission meets the requirements presented therein.
- If applicable, carefully review and complete our Patient Consent for Publication Form (PDF), and ensure that your submission meets the requirements presented therein. Patient consent is not to be sent to the journal with your submission, but must be retained by the authors for a period of five (5) years.
- Review and complete the conflicts of interest disclosure form: COI Disclosure Form (from ICJME) and ensure that all authors of your submission have thoroughly met the disclosure requirements presented therein. *Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to view/edit*
- Add your completed Article Submission Form and COI Disclosure Form directly to OJS as supplemental documents.
- Ensure that your manuscript text does not contain any information that identifies the author(s).
- Ensure that author names are on the title page, which should be uploaded as a separate document.
Do not hesitate to contact the managing editor at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any submissions-related inquiries.